A meeting between the federal government and the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has ended in a deadlock and the latter has insisted on its planned strike. This is coming after a warning was given by the union to commence an indefinite strike starting from 12 am, Thursday, September 27, Channels TV reports.
The meeting is sequel to the directive given to all labour unions and civil society groups by NLC president, Ayuba Wabba, to embark on strike
According to NAIJ.com it was reported that on Wednesday, September 26, NLC president, Ayuba Wabba, directed all labour unions and civil society groups to embark on strike NLC, which is demanding a new minimum wage of N56,000, said its decision to embark on strike is because the federal government has failed to reconvene the tripartite committee on a new national minimum wage.
It was previously reported that the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) called on all its members and affiliate unions to join its nationwide strike over federal government’s delay in the implementation of a new national minimum wage. The strike was called due to the refusal of the federal government to reconvene the meeting of the tripartite national minimum wage committee to enable it conclude its work.
Ayuba Wabba, the NLC president, said this while briefing journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, September 26, adding that the strike will commence from 12 am, Thursday, September 26. Also previously reported was that the federal government on Monday, August 13, assured Nigerians and the labour workforce that the new minimum wage would begin by the end of September.
The minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige, said federal government would announce the new minimum wage before the end of the third quarter, which is September. Ngige, while speaking at the 40th Anniversary of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in Abuja, said the federal government aimed at determining a decent work agenda for Nigerians.